Welwyn Village now has an AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) located outside Barclays Bank in Church Street. This is accessible 24/7 to anyone witnessing a person in cardiac arrest (or having a suspected heart attack) and will significantly increase the chance of saving their life before Paramedics arrive.
If you are in this situation:
- Call 999
- Go to the AED cabinet outside Barclays
- The Ambulance Operator will give you the code to open the cabinet door so you can retrieve the AED and at the same time will despatch medical help
- Take it to the patient and follow the easy video and audio instructions on the AED unit
- You cannot harm someone in error; if they are not actually in cardiac arrest (heart attack) the AED will not shock them!
Clearly, despite the designed ease of use, it is important that local people should familiarise themselves where the AED is sited, so that in an emergency they are in a strong position to advise and help visitors to Welwyn’s retail centre. Despite the ease of use of this equipment, extra training will be provided in due course for interested and concerned local people,.
You too can Help!
- Please pass the message on.
- Tell people where the defibrillator is sited.
- Tell people to be confident and use it in an emergency.
- Tell people that they will be given clear instructions.
This could save a life!