What is/are – Permitted Development Rights?

Permitted Development Rights

The Government’s Planning Portal guide details the certain types of minor changes that can be made to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called Permitted Development Rights.  They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas.

There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.

To learn more about the detail of what is, or is not, click here, Permitted Development Rights, or go to the Government Planning Portal on the Links page for information on a wide range of planning related subjects.